When it comes time for you to repair your windshield, you make come across some terms that you’re not so familiar with. Our windshield repair professionals at Superglass will be able to walk you through each step of the repair process, but it doesn’t hurt to have a few key terms in your repertoire. Here’s a quick glossary of terms that you will most likely hear during the course of your repair:
- A Pillar: The part of the car body on the sides of the windshield that help support the roof.
- Aftermarket: A term that refers to any car parts that were not made by the original car manufacturer.
- Anneal: A process of heating glass and then slowly cooling it to help relieve internal stress which makes the glass less like like to break. This process creates tempered glass.
- B Pillar: The part of the car body that supports the roof, that appears behind the A Pillar, between the front and rear doors.
- Bull’s Eye: Glass damage that is circular, typically with a cone in the outer layer of the glass.
- C Pillar: Refers to the part of the car on the sides of the rear windshield.
- Combination Break: When there’s multiple types of breaks in a windshield, such as a chip with cracks coming from it.
- Cure: When an adhesive dries and becomes as strong as it’s supposed to be.
- Frit: The painted black band around your windshield to protect the adhesive from sun damage.
- Laminated Glass: Two or more pieces of glass that are held together with a piece of plastic so that when the glass breaks it is less likely to injure people.
- Legs: The short cracks that extend from a pit of a crack.
- Safe Drive Away Time: The time that you need to wait after windshield repair before your car can be safely driven.
- Tempered Glass: A type of glass that’s stronger than normal and is designed to shatter into small pieces when broken. It’s made by heating and quickly cooling the glass.
There are many different terms used throughout the windshield repair process, but you don’t need to worry about being an expert, that’s what we’re here for! Just give us a call when you recognize damage to your glass so that you can drive safely with a properly repaired windshield from your Melbourne windshield repair professionals.